Montagu Academy recognises that all pupils, regardless of their background, should have equal access to a curriculum which will enable them to reach their potential. The sports funding premium is a Government initiative that targets extra money to all pupils and all schools.
The Government are not dictating how schools should spend this money, but are clear that schools will need to employ the strategies that they know will support pupils to increase their active participation in sports.
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
The PE and Sports Premium for Primary Schools can be viewed on our Statutory Information page here.
We are delighted to be working with Xcite Sports & Fitness this coming year to support us in delivering our unique P.E. and Sport programme. The programme is made up of a number of broad, varied elements which combine to provide enriching experiences and opportunities for our pupils:
- P.E. specialists working with teachers and support staff – during curriculum lessons, specialists in Physical Education from Xcite Sports & Fitness will work alongside our staff to provide them with advice, new ideas and support to ensure high quality teaching in all P.E. lessons.
- Weekly extracurricular clubs – breakfast, lunchtime and after school clubs will be offered to all KS1 and KS2 children at times throughout the year providing further opportunities for our pupils to participate in sport. Through the Kids2Clubs survey, each pupil will have the chance to give their opinion on what sports and activities they would like to see offered in these clubs.
- Competitions with other local schools – Throughout the year we will be entering competitions against other local schools in both the Sainsburys School Games and Xcite inter-school competitions. There will be events on offer to all year groups in KS2, and KS1 will be entered in to ‘friendly-festivals’.
- Competitions within school – each term our pupils will compete both alongside and against each other in school. Children will be allocated in to teams and take part in the competition during their respective lessons. This has been hugely popular in the past and it encourages the sense of community and collaboration within school.
- Links with local sports clubs – pupils will be invited to attend sessions (usually free of charge!) at some of the fantastic sports clubs we have in the area. Here they will receive specialist coaching from the clubs themselves, get to experience the superb facilities they have and if they really enjoy the session, follow up that interest by becoming a member.
- Sports Leadership training for pupils – Older KS2 pupils will be given the chance to train up as Playground Leaders, organising sessions and activities for other groups of children during breaktimes and lunchtimes.
- Opportunities to try new, unique sports – through our curriculum and clubs, pupils will experience sports such as ‘New Age Kurling’ and ‘Rock-it-ball’, allowing them to develop new talents and find the activity which is best suited to them.
- Additional coaching and support for Gifted and Talented performers – those pupils showing great potential in P.E. lessons and extracurricular clubs will be offered extra sessions and opportunities to further develop their talents.
Please keep looking out for upcoming events and encourage your child to participate as much as possible. We are looking forward to a healthy and active year!
Yours In Sport,
Xcite Sports & Fitness